Last week we stayed in Old Kilmory Church in Ardnamurchan for 4 nights. You can read my review of the accommodation here. We had a total media blackout – no TV, internet or mobile phones (OK, an almost blackout – we did happen across some mobile reception on a couple of occasions when we were out and about.) While I love the luxury of staying in a hotel there’s something very relaxing about self catering in a remote part of the world. Even though we had terrible weather (the gale was blowing so strongly that my husband really had to battle against the door to push it open) that was nothing comfy clothes, good food and a bottle of red wine couldn’t sort out. I actually quite like rotten weather if I don’t have to go outside, it provides a great excuse to be very lazy!
We played lots of indoors games with Euan because we couldn’t get outside. One of his favourites is ‘Round and Round the Garden’. If you look carefully you can just about make out the driving rain!
Row, Row, Row Your Boat was also a favourite!
5 things I love about staying self catering:
1. Planning a menu of all our favourite meals weeks in advance. My favourite dish last week was rump steak served with rocket, parmesan and lemon juice. Friends of ours cooked this for us for the first time a few years ago after eating it in Italy. It’s an amazing combo.
2. Time doesn’t matter. There’s no breakfast between 8am and 9am and dinner for 7pm. I like to take off my watch and we eat when we’re hungry.
3. There are usually lots of interesting things to look at and do around the home. I love having a nosy in the bookshelf and passing the time playing whatever board games are on offer.
4. Self catering is normally cheaper than a hotel. Something not to be sniffed at!
5. I love that feeling of staying in a home away from home. Having access to a proper kitchen certainly makes things easier when on a family holiday.
This post is part of Delicious Baby‘s Photo Friday. Please share your thoughts in the comments box below, I’d love to hear from you.
You may also be interested in my post Finding Family Friendly Accommodation.